How Do I...? Common Questions Answers
City of Bristol Connecticut
Go To Search
Elderly & Disabled Renters Rebate Program
Brief Program Description

The Renters Rebate Program is a program for Elderly and Disabled Renters.  The Bristol Assessors Office administers the application process and submits it to the State of Connecticut. Applicants must meet the requirements listed below and file annually to receive the benefit.  The benefit/rebate comes in the form of a check that is distributed after the close of the program (typically not sent until after November 1st).   

Income Limits
The following limits are determined by your Social Security and other income totals combined.
  • Married - $42,900       
  • Single / widowed - $35,200

Assessor Office Applications

Apartment resident application sites April 1 through April 30:
  • Birchwood Apartments
  • Bonnie Acres
  • Delorenzo Towers
  • Gaylord Apartments
  • Kennedy Apartments afternoon
  • Komanetsky Estates
  • Meridian Towers
  • Riverview Apartments
  • Stafford Avenue Apartments

All other applications will be processed in City Hall at the Assessor's office 9 am to 4 pm Monday through Thursday and Friday 9 am to 1 pm from May 1st through October 1st.

What You Will Need

Proof of Eligibility

If you are a new applicant, you will need your ID with proof of age of eligibility (you must be 65 years of age by December 31, 2015 or under 65 years of age and Social Security Disabled). Disability can be proven with a TPQY statement from Social Security that states the date your disability began, a Medicare deduction shown on your Social Security 1099 statement, or the letter A following the Social Security number listed in the bottom right hand corner of the Social Security 1099 statement.

1099 Statement
All applicants must provide a copy of their 1099 statement received from Social Security, indicating the total amount of money received in the year 2014 If you do not supply a copy, your original must be taken at the time of your application. If you absolutely cannot locate this statement, you may request a duplicate by calling the local Social Security administration 1-800-772-1213

Tax Return
If you filed an IRS tax return, a copy of this is also needed.

Proof of Income
If you did not file a tax return, you must bring proof of all your income, including: bank interest, IRA withdrawals, wages earned, and any pensions received. The Assessor’s Office staff will need copies of all income you received for the year.

Most Important
Proof (receipts) for rent and utilities paid during the calendar year of 2014. This proof can be provided by your canceled checks or a yearly statement. Utilities include only necessities (electric, gas, oil, etc.). These items are also for review only, no extra copies are needed. Cable TV and telephone are not included.

Find and FollowFacebookTwitter