Household Hazardous Waste
Household hazardous products can pose serious risks to your family’s health and the health of our environment. Bring the unused portions of the hazardous products to one of the household hazardous waste collection days. Be sure to keep products in their original containers and don’t mix them. Always keep materials in a safe place away from children, pets, and heat.
There will be a free Household Hazardous Waste Collection event on Saturday, November 13, 2021 at the City Yard (95 Vincent P. Kelly Road, Bristol, CT 06010) from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Another Household Hazardous Waste Collection event will take place on December 4, 2021 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Residential Recycling Center located at 642 Christian Lane, Berlin, CT. This event is OPEN TO BRISTOL RESIDENTS.
Residents of Berlin, Bristol, New Britain, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington, and Wolcott may attend. Resident I.D. is required. Please make sure products are sealed. Pack them in a sturdy crate or cardboard box. Leave in your car only as long as necessary, and never smoke while handling. 5 gallon per person limit. No waste from businesses or contractors.
Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste
- Non-empty aerosol cans
- Household batteries
- Furniture, floor, & metal polishes
- Bleach & spot removers
- Oven, drain, & household cleaners
- Bug sprays
- Disinfectants & mildew removers
- CFL & fluorescent bulbs
- Paint, varnishes, shellac, stains, thinners, & paint strippers. Contact Paint Care for large amounts of paint & paint drop off locations
- Pool and photographic chemicals
- Lawn care chemicals such as pesticides & fertilizers
- Auto fluids such as motor oil & antifreeze
- Car waxes and cleaners
- Kerosene & fuel oil
- Mercury (including thermometers and thermostats)
- Waste fuel, moth balls, hobby supplies
- Charcoal lighter fluid
Unacceptable Materials for HHW Events
- Appliances such as air conditioners and microwaves (dispose of these items through bulk pickup, the City of Bristol Transfer Station (with a residential permit), or Electronics Waste Collection (no air conditioners or appliances with Freon)
- Commercial or industrial waste
- Electronics such as TVs and computers (dispose of these items through bulk pickup, the City of Bristol Transfer Station (with a residential permit), or Electronics Waste Collection)
- Empty containers (dispose of in your rubbish container)
- Flares, ammunition, & other explosives (flares: saturate in water in a covered can, then place in your rubbish container; ammunition: contactany State Police Barracks or resident State Trooper’s Office)
- Medicines or medical devices (medicines: Police Department Drug Take-Back Event; medical devices: health/medical supply store)
- Open containers
- Propane tanks (Disposal through City of Bristol Transfer Station (with a residential permit) - valves need to be removed unless from a gas grill)
- Smoke detectors (contact manufacturer for disposal options)
- Tires (dispose of via Bulk pickup (maximum of 2 tires, no rims), the City of Bristol Transfer Station (with a residential permit; max 4 tires per day).
Hazardous Waste Tips
- Buy only what you need and use all of what you buy.
- Give leftover or extra product to someone who can use it or bring it to a HHW collection day.
- Never throw leftover chemicals down the drain, in storm drains, on the ground, or in the trash.
- Recycle lead-acid car batteries by bringing them to a scrap metal dealer or battery retailer.
- Recycle used pure waste motor oil at the City of Bristol Solid Waste Transfer Station or at your local automotive service station.
- Use non-toxic or less toxic substitutes for hazardous products.
- If you are moving before a collection day, try to get a neighbor, friend, or family member to bring your hazardous products to a collection day for you.
Why Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days?
- Reduce the chances of accidental poisoning
- Prevent damage to sewage systems
- Help protect surface water and groundwater
- Reduce the risk of harmful fumes or fires
More information: call Tunxis Recycling at 860-585-0419